You are here:
Tennessee Wesleyan College (TWC) Career Services Center is excited to announce a wonderful opportunity for employers, alumni, and parents to expose TWC students to potential career fields!
Extern for a Day (Externship) is a voluntary job shadowing experience that ranges from 1 day to 12 weeks. TWC students spend time observing and working with employees to gain an understanding of the culture of the organization and its industry.
What is Extern for a Day?
A short-term (typically 1 day to 12 weeks) volunteer job shadowing externship opportunity which allows TWC students to observe work, investigate a career field, and experience a typical day (or weeks) on the job.
How do organizations benefit from hosting an Extern?
· No cost – TWC Student provides their own transportation, meals, and DO NOT receive compensation for time spent with their sponsoring organizations.
· A great recruiting tool - Extern for a Day provides you the employer with the opportunity to meet and identify candidates early in the recruiting process.
· Expose your organization and industry to TWC Students - Many students have misconceptions about career fields. They have no idea what a particular career job entails...only what they see on T.V., hear from their friends, and learn from their parents. Extern for a Day gives students the chance to develop a first-hand understanding and see for themselves.
· Social Responsibility - A great way to give back to Tennessee Wesleyan College (TWC) is with your time and experience. Extern for a Day provides you with an opportunity to make a non-monetary contribution to TWC.
What activities are Externs involved in when they visit an organization?
Flexibility is the essential aspect of the program. What Externs do varies according to the career field, the Extern’s interests, and the schedule of the sponsor. Overall, students have observed the day-to-day activities of an organization, toured the facilities, and assisted as they are able and as needed on established projects or short-term activities. Some sample experiences:
· Conducting informational interviews with a variety of employees to gain a broad perspective
· Attending meetings and other functions
· Preparing reports, spreadsheets, etc.
· Observing and asking questions
· Performing general office tasks
· Assisting with research projects
· Editing and proofreading
When is the program offered?
Extern For A Day opportunities are available for TWC students in the Fall (September-November) & Spring (February-April).
How are students chosen to participate in the Extern For A Day program?
Students attend mandatory orientation sessions; submit their resume (if needed) and application indicating their interest in the program, preferences, and expectations. Students and hosts are then matched based on their mutual interests and available dates.
How do I sponsor an Extern?
It's easy to get involved in the TWC Career Services Center Extern For A Day Program!
Just complete the interest form below. TWC's Career Services Center will contact you with further details.