PE 316: Assessment & Exercise Prescription
PE 316: Principles & Techniques of Fitness Assessment & Exercise Prescription
This course uses the SAKAI coursesite through the LAMP portal for access to complete syllabus, notes, handouts, etc.
The study of methods of determining fitness levels and developing safe exercise programs, developing and administering group exercise/wellness programs. Emphasis is placed on evaluation techniques and exercise prescription.
Required Textbook and Materials:
Guidelines Text: ACSM. (2010). ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 8th Edition. Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins.
Health Text: ACSM (2010). ACSM’s Health-Related Physical Fitness Assessment Manual. 3rd Edition. Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins.
This course will prepare students to work in settings with health-related physical fitness programs; demonstrate the use of exercise equipment; provide rationale for individualized exercise programs; detail the expected benefits of exercise; administer and interpret health appraisal, risk assessment, and fitness tests; and design the appropriate exercise programs and safety procedures for healthy adults.
Course Relationship to Major Program and Department:
This course is a requirement for all students in the Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Sports and Fitness Management emphases in the Department of Exercise & Sport Sciences.
Course Relationship to Knowledge of Content Area and Skills:
Upon course completion, students should have knowledge of the five areas of physical fitness; be able to administer and interpret health appraisal, risk assessment, and fitness tests; the ability to create an exercise program for typical and atypical individuals; knowledge of behavior modification techniques; and ability to design a wellness program.
- Health-related physical fitness, risk factors & indicators, & risk stratification
- Fundamentals of fitness assessment & pre-screening
- Fitness testing (including body composition, cardiorespiratory, muscular, & flexibility fitness)
- Submaximal & maximal testing
- Interpretation of testing results
- Exercise prescription for general population and healthy population and special populations (cardiac patients, older adults, children)
- Hands-on assessment activities