Associate Professor & Chair
Exercise & Sports Sciences
Office: A-4 Fowler Hall (Basement)
FAX #: 423-744-9968
204 East College Street
Athens, TN 37303
Ph.D. in Exercise & Wellness (graduate certificate in Gerontology), Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ)
M.P.H. in Community Health Education, The University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
M.S. in Technology in Health Care & Applied Mathematics/Computer Science, Washington University (St. Louis, MO)
A.B. in Mathematics, The University of Missouri (Columbia, MO)
HE 161: Public Health & Environment
PE 316: Assessment & Exercise Prescription
PE 411: Test & Measurement for PE & Recreation
PE 421: Physiology of Exercise
PE 422: Applied Exercise Physiology
PE 436: Therapeutic Exercise
PE 460: Review Course for ACE Personal Trainer Certification
PE 499: Exercise Science Internships
Various Special Topics in Epidemiology, Aging & Physical Activity, Research
Publications: (last 5 years)
Refereed Journals -
- Bergman RJ, Bassett DR, Klein DA. (2008). Assessing the validity of two pedometers in measuring steps taken by older adults residing in assisted-living facilities. Journal for Physical Activity and Health, 5(Supplement), S166-S175.
- Fitzhugh EC, Klein DA, Hayes G,. (2008). Leisure-time physical activity participation among older adults: Implications for certified therapeutic recreation specialists.; Annual in Therapeutic Recreation, 16:117-128.
- McGuire SL, Klein DA, Chen SL. (2008). Ageism revisited: A study measuring ageism in East Tennessee, USA; Nursing and Health Sciences, 10:11-16.
- Klein DA, Burr LR, Stone WJ. (2005). “Making Physical Activity Stick: What Can We Learn from Regular Exercisers?” ACSM Journal of Health & Fitness, 9(4):19-25.
- Klein, DA, Council KJ, McGuire, SL. (2005). “Education to Promote Positive Attitudes About Aging”. Educational Gerontology, 31:591-601.
- McGuire SL, Klein DA, Couper D. (2005). “Aging Education: A National Imperative”. Educational Gerontology, 31:443-460.
Other Published Works -
- Klein DA, McGuire SL. (2009). “Combatting Ageism: If It’s Not Your Issue…It Will Be!” (Aging Well – a Magazine for Professionals Promoting Positive Aging).
- Klein DA, McGuire SL. (2009). “Fallproofing: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Your Clients” (Aging Well – a Magazine for Professionals Promoting Positive Aging).
- Klein DA. (2007). “Exercise Adherence: What Works, What Doesn’t!” ACSM Fit Society Page, Fall 2007. (Invited article)
Awards & Honors:
- Developer of "ABC" Exercise Program for Older Adults
- VIP Member of Cambridge Who's Who for Executives
- Personal webpage for Klein Consulting